The New York Committee for Occupational Safety and Health is seeking an industrial hygienist to provide technical services to workers throughout downstate Metropolitan New York. The job will entail working with a wide range of unions and worker organizations to provide technical assistance, industrial hygiene services, and training. Candidate must be a self-starter, able to work independently and have a demonstrated record of successful IH work.
The New York Committee for Occupational Safety and Health is a coalition of over 200 local unions and 350 individual safety and health activists in the New York metropolitan area. NYCOSH uses training, education, advocacy, and organizing to improve health and safety conditions in our workplaces and our communities. The job will based in New York City.
- Master’s Degree in Industrial Hygiene or a related field
- 5 years of experience working as an Industrial Hygienist
- Excellent writing and communications skills
- Experience working with unions and workers
- Awareness of PESH and OSHA regulations
- Outstanding teaching skills
- Demonstrated ability to develop curricula and educational materials, particularly geared towards limited literacy populations and non-English speakers
- Organizational and program development skills
- Demonstrated self-starter
- Experience working in the New York Metropolitan area
- Grant-writing experience
- Bilingual and multilingual candidates preferred
- Provide on-site industrial hygiene services to unions, worker and community organizations
- Provide technical assistance to individuals and organizations through email and call requests
- Conduct industrial hygiene inspections
- Write industrial hygiene reports and technical and policy testimonies
- Work with unions and community-based organizations to develop safety and health training programs
- Develop training materials, including curricula, fact sheets, and other resources
- Conduct safety and health training sessions for unions and community organizations
- Respond to inquiries regarding workplace hazards
- Participate in NYCOSH meetings and activities
Salary: 91,263 – 96,263
Employees will receive health and dental benefits with both individual and family plans available; paid vacation time, holidays and sick days; life insurance; and a pension plan.
NYCOSH is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and is a union shop, with its staff represented by USW Local 4-406.
Please apply by emailing a resume, cover letter, writing sample, and references to email@example.com by September 18, 2017.