Job Announcement: Finance Director
The New York Committee for Occupational Safety and Health (NYCOSH) is seeking a finance director who will be responsible for NYCOSH’s finances. The director will contribute to the overall success of the organization by effectively managing all financial tasks for the organization.
Application deadline: March 24, 2017
Start date: April 24, 2017
NYCOSH is a membership organization of workers, unions, community-based organizations, and workers’ rights activists. NYCOSH uses training, education, advocacy, technical assistance, and organizing to improve health and safety conditions in our workplaces, our communities, and our environment. Founded 38 years ago on the principle that workplace injuries, illnesses, and deaths are preventable, NYCOSH works to extend and defend every person’s right to a safe and health workplace and community.
- Manage finances with Executive Director and respond to various confidential financial queries as requested
- Manage NYCOSH bank accounts, including its general operations, reserve account, health insurance reimbursement account, and severance fund account.
- Manage finances in compliance with internal financial and accounting policies and procedures; ensure that all statutory requirements of the organization are met including Charitable Status, Withholding payments, Income Tax, New York State Sales Tax, when appropriate;
- Manage all financial transactions – including grants, foundations and subcontracts
- Manage the acquisition of capital assets
Budget Preparation and Management
- Manage all budget and budget projection preparation, for the annual budget, grant budgets, bargaining and all funding applications
- Prepare information and participate in bargaining
- Develop contracts and subcontracts
- Supervise administrative, clerical and development staff and ensure that work is being completed
- Supervise additional staff as needed
- Manage all leases, contracts and other financial commitments
- Manage and assign staff completion of training data and time sheets in the database
- Manage health insurance benefits scheme for management and staff, including the preparation of costing out proposals of fringe benefits for bargaining
- Ensure that all employees follow NYCOSH’s contracts, policies and procedures (paid time off, etc).
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in an appropriate discipline, such as Finance, Business Management, etc.
- 5+ years of overall professional experience; 5+ years of broad financial and operations management experience; and prior supervisory/HR experience
- Experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination with funding agencies
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with — programmatic and fundraising staff
- A track record in financial and reporting responsibilities in government/grants management
- Technology savvy with experience and knowledge of accounting, word processing, databases, spreadsheets, email, internet and online reporting programs
- A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of unions and organizations
- Grants management at the federal, state, and New York City level.
- Experience working within a non-profit organization and knowledge of 501c3 structure