The New York Committee for Occupational Safety and Health (NYCOSH) is seeking a finance director who will be responsible for NYCOSH’s finances. The director will contribute to the overall success of the organization by effectively managing all financial tasks for the organization.
NYCOSH is a membership organization of workers, unions, community-based organizations, and workers’ rights activists. NYCOSH uses training, education, advocacy, technical assistance, and organizing to improve health and safety conditions in our workplaces, our communities, and our environment. Founded 36 years ago on the principle that workplace injuries, illnesses, and deaths are preventable, NYCOSH works to extend and defend every person’s right to a safe and health workplace and community.
Financial accounting and reporting
- Ensure compliance with internal financial and accounting policies and procedures; ensure that all statutory requirements of the organization are met including Charitable Status, Withholding payments, Income Tax, New York State Sales Tax, when appropriate;
- Develop and maintain timely and accurate financial reports; liaise with Treasurer to create and complete monthly financial reports for board meetings;
- Document and maintain complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions – including grants, foundations and subcontracts;
- Complete all financial reporting for grants, foundations and subcontracts;
- Prepare all supporting information for annual audits and any grant audits;
- Reconcile bank accounts;
- Manage the acquisition of capital assets and ensure assets are properly recorded, amortized, and disposed of as appropriate.
Payroll preparation and administration
- Bookkeeping functions, including maintenance of the general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll—including writing and signing checks; and making regular bank deposits.
- Manage the employee insurance and benefit plans – from signing up, to ensuring all are appropriately covered and is administered appropriately.
- Lead all budget and budget projection preparation, for the annual budget, bargaining and all funding applications;
- Develop contracts and subcontracts.
Personnel & Office Management
- Oversee and supervise administrative, clerical and development staff and ensure that work is being completed timely;
- Supervise program staff in conjunction with the ED;
- Oversee the management of all leases, contracts and other financial commitments;
- Manage personnel and grant databases and files; ensure that personnel and financial information is secure;
- Ensure staff is completing appropriate training data and time sheets in the database;
- Oversee IT consultants, to ensure all technology issues are handled.
- Minimum of a B.A or B.S. degree
- MBA, MPA, CPA or related degree preferred
- 5+ years of overall professional experience; 5+ years of broad financial and operations management experience; and prior supervisory/HR experience
- Experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination with funding agencies
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with — programmatic and fundraising staff
- A track record in financial and reporting responsibilities in grants management
- Technology savvy with experience and knowledge of accounting, word processing, databases, spreadsheets, email, internet and online reporting programs
- A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of unions and organizations
- Grants management at the federal, state, and New York City level.
- Experience working within a non-profit organization and knowledge of 501c3 structure
Salary: $95,000-$100,000, health and dental benefits, life insurance, retirement plan
Applications will be processed upon receipt and due by September 18, 2015. Cover letter and resume should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
NYCOSH is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and is a union shop, with its staff represented by USW Local 4-149.