SAFETY AND HEALTH SPECIALIST
The New York Committee for Occupational Safety and Health is seeking a safety and health specialist to develop, coordinate and conduct safety and health campaigns in New York City for construction workers, in particular Latino day laborers. In addition to conducting training, the job includes outreach to unions, community-based organizations and institutions, liaison with unions and production and distribution of appropriate safety and health materials. Candidate must be a self-starter, able to work independently and have a demonstrated record of successful programmatic work.
The New York Committee for Occupational Safety and Health is a coalition of over 200 local unions and 350 individual safety and health activists in the New York metropolitan area. NYCOSH uses training, education, advocacy, and organizing to improve health and safety conditions in our workplaces and our communities. The job will based in New York City.
- Experience working with unions, low-wage workers, and community organizations
- Fluency in Spanish
- OSHA-authorized construction trainer
- Organizing experience
- Health and Safety background and knowledge
- Outstanding teaching skills
- Demonstrated ability to develop curricula and educational materials
- Organizational and program development skills
- Excellent writing and communication ability
- Demonstrated self-starter
- Experience working in the New York Metropolitan area
- Grant-writing experience
- Coordinate training program for construction day laborers
- Run NYCOSH-specific campaigns
- Build NYCOSH’s base and develop NYCOSH members
- Carry out the mission of NYCOSH to provide education about occupational safety and health to union members, community organizations, immigrant and other low-wage workers
- Work with unions and community-based organizations to develop safety and health training programs
- Create connections between unions and community-based organizations with a goal of organizing workers into unions/workers’ centers
- Develop training materials, including curricula, fact sheets, and other resources
- Conduct safety and health training sessions for unions and community organizations
- Respond to inquiries regarding workplace hazards
- Participate in NYCOSH meetings and activities
Salary: $82,863.50 – $88,363.50
Employees will receive health and dental benefits with both individual and family plans available; paid vacation time, holidays and sick days; life insurance; and a pension plan.
NYCOSH is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and is a union shop, with its staff represented by USW Local 4-406.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by Friday, January 31st, 2020.